Sunday 15 July 2012

What's Happening With Our Splitscreen

Time for a recap on progress for our splitscreen camper.   We purchased her back in April after being persuaded she was the right camper for us...catch up on what happened here  


This is how she looked then



We then cleaned out her inside ready for it to be removed.  It was still the original Westfalia interior & it did seem a shame to take it out but I just couldn't imagine anyone being blown away by it's mustard and dark wood look.  I now need to sell this interior so if your interested give me a shout!


She was then taken to the bodyshop to start her transformation...



Slowly her paint has been removed, thankfully underneath was all pretty good, just some minor repairs to the bottom of her cargo doors and tidying everything up


I've obviously understated how much work goes into bare metaling a campervan despite this one being very straight and not hiding anything nasty under that brown paint.

Then it was on to the primer stage


Meanwhile back at Custard HQ heated debates were going on, between me & Dan to try and decide on the colours to paint her, find out more on this here.  In the end we narrowed it down to getting samples of the following four colours, as we knew it was going to be a white on top...

LL6F Lint Green

 

L478 Beryl Green


L346 Mango Green


L397 Lavendar 


Do you see a bit of a green theme going on?  Apparently everyone has a blue/white split so that ruled out all the blues, I suggested some nice pastel colours like lemon, lilac, peppermint if it had to be green but was told that they were all too wishy washy.  Once every colour had been ruled out we were left with the greens none of which I liked so I found this lovely lavendar on one of the VW forums and put it in the mix.

Unfortunately when we went to pick up the colour samples the paintshop had been unable to get that colour, you can imagine how pleased I was at that revelation.  So green it was, Dan wanted the mango which I hated, out of the three I'd have gone for the Lint but this reminded Dan of his Dad's old mark 5 Cortina?? The only colour left was Beryl Green which is not really my taste.  There was much stamping of my feet but just couldn't budge Dan on this and I had to go with it.  Not very gracefully I might add, I had the major hump over it.

At least we now had a decision so paint could be ordered and work could press on.  With the paint decision being Dan's I have full choice of interior fit out.  I've decided to stick to a similar layout to what the split had originally but will lose the wardrobe as can't really see the point and it also blocked one of windows making the inside feel quite dark.  After gathering quotes we have booked the split in with Vanmotions in Cambridgeshire .  We will be visiting them next week to confirm plans and choose our trim colours.

In the meantime I have been looking at curtain fabric and currently I'm in love with this courtesy of the ever helpful Sarah over at The Cosy Campervan Company.


So that's where we're up to, I will update this blog with some new pictures once the paint is on and we've seen Dunk at Vanmotions and confirmed our interior wood etc.

As always comments always welcome.

Kerry x








No comments:

Post a Comment